Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My First Ever New Year's Resolution

She's been gone almost a whole week now. Time is a funny thing. It seems like there is no way it has already been a week, but at the same time it feels like it's been an eternity. God's grace has continued to carry us through each day, and for that I am very thankful. Pangs of sorrow come and go. Our days have been very full and busy. Reality still hasn't completely set in. We've had a full house since Sunday, which has been such a blessing and a good distraction. But reality and routine are coming very soon. And if I let my thoughts linger there too long, fear overtakes me. So I must tell myself - today, today, stay in today.

Here's a glance at what our week has looked like...

Bryan and Hudson riding the "digs" at G-pa's house

Captain America (David - my husband) and little Ironman (Hudson - my nephew) after we went and saw Frozen together as a family on Saturday.

My twin nieces that I love oh so much!!! Kaitlyn and Kimberly - the best set of teenage girls you'll ever meet. I'm so proud of the young ladies they are becoming, and I have so loved getting to spend so much time with them these past couple weeks.

A "friendly" game of Phase 10 with my nieces, my sister Alesha, my husband, and my brother-in-law Eric

All my nieces and nephews (minus Hudson and Rhett) - Jaxon, Kaitlyn, Cadence, Carter, Addison and Kimberly.

Despite the circumstances, I am so thankful to have had so much time with family this week. We all live in different states and it is rare that we all get to be together.

I don't normally make New Year's resolutions. Let me rephrase that - I never make New Year's resolutions. I'd rather not set myself up for failure, so I refrain. But tonight I got to thinking and realized this might be the perfect year to try something new... or 12 somethings new! My sister-in-law Leah did this last year where every month she had to try something she had never done before. And since this year is going to be filled with countless "firsts" as we try and adapt to our new "normal," I thought, why don't we try this as a family?! I figure this will be a good way to make some fun memories and will also bring us even closer together. I have no idea what our 12 "firsts" are going to be, but we are totally up for suggestions! Please comment and leave us your ideas.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who has been leaving comments and sending me emails. Your encouragement and prayers have been such a blessing to me. Although this journey is far from easy, I can't imagine doing it alone. We've had so many people bringing us meals, sending us encouraging text messages, emails and comments, praying and interceding for us - it's been overwhelming! In such a good way. So thank you to all who have joined with us on this road. God is good even in the toughest of times.

"This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."

6 comments:

  1. God is good all the time. He's with you and He will take care of you!!!! You and your family will be in my prayers...HUGS TO YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan,

    Nic and I have been following your Mom's journey for a long time. You are in our prayers and in our hearts. We love you and your family dearly. May this year bring you joy and peace.

    Nic Groves & Amy Willim

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day at a time, darlin...i love you and am so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have twin nieces too... so opposite of each other :) So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a friend who loves to mountain climb and has tried to climb the highest peaks in the states he visits. Perhaps you could pick a peak or a hike in a place you've never visited and then eat at a great restaurant afterwards. I've always wanted to ride in a hot air balloon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never make New Year's resolutions either and love your idea, so me and my family might have to try it out. It has just been a year that I lost my dad and it just doesn't seem like a year. I think I thought that year mark was going to feel different....it was like what am I suppossed to do??? So I took cookies to the nurses in ICU that took care of him and visited the cemetary. Lot's of firsts when you loose a parent, but somehow God gets you through it. Keep writing sweet girl....you have a gift and are carrying on your mom's legacy!

    ReplyDelete