Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January Family First

We accomplished our "Family First" for January tonight and tried a new restaurant together. We went to the new Mediterranean restaurant in Bentonville called Tazikis. And it is mmm, mmm good! And well, confession... Dave and I have eaten there before... and so has Bryan... but it was Tony and Jenna's first time and our first time there as a family, so, close enough! But seriously, it's really good, and I highly recommend the grilled lamb gyro - yum!

Tony, Hudson, Jenna, Rhett (almost hidden by the white cards), Bryan and David





We also started Rick and Kay Warren's sermon series "How to Get Through What You're Going Through." We will be getting together every Tuesday night to continue the series. Their son died in April 2013, and they speak from their own experience about how they made it through such a dark season in their lives.

The gist of what we started tonight is that in the midst of trials and loss when your mind is full of so many questions and wanting to ask why, cling to what you know. He talked about three unchanging truths we can cling to:

1. Life doesn't make sense, but know we can have peace
because we know God is with us and God loves us.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned

and the flame shall not consume you.
Isaiah 43:2

2. Everything on earth is broken, but we can still have joy
because we know God is good and He has a greater plan.
And we know that for those who love God all things
work together for good, for those who are called
according to His purpose.

Romans 8:28


3. Life is a battle, but we can have hope because
we know there is more to the story.
We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed,
but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken;
struck down, but not destroyed... knowing that He who
raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring
us with you into His presence.
2 Corinthians 4:8-9,14

I would highly recommend this sermon series to anyone who is going through an extreme trial or difficult loss. Your spirit will be encouraged and blessed. I am so excited to continue doing this with my family, and I am so thankful to have this family to walk through life with.

God is good - even in this trial. He is good.

"This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jordan, I was a reader of your mom's blog and now of course, yours. I lost my dad on New Years Eve. I'm just 33 and haven't had kids (or marriage) yet either. I'm having a hard time seeing the rest of my life unfold without my dad too. His death was sudden and unexpected at just 62 yrs old and while our stories are different, I find them very much the same. I am so grateful to have found your blog and at this imperfectly perfect timing. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom but know that her story lives in you and your words and faith on this journey are bringing comfort to me. ~Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey, I'm so sorry to hear that you are also on a similar road. The best thing I can tell you that I've learned so far is to not let your thoughts get ahead of you. It's so easy to let our thoughts drift to tomorrow, to next week and to next year, but THAT is where I find all my anxiety and fear. His grace is for this very moment. Sometimes I just have to tell myself, "I can handle this moment. Stay in this moment." As I ate lunch with my dad the other day, I had to say out loud to both of us, "We are eating lunch together right now, and we can handle this." It might sound silly to others, but just one moment at a time is all we can handle. The Lord's grace will be there tomorrow, but we aren't there yet. Just rest in His grace today. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss as well.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome you're going through the study together... holding God near in learning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so excited about doing the series together! I'm thankful to have a family who is clinging to the Lord in this time.

      Delete
  3. Oh, so glad you all are sharing this study together. Such wonderful truths for all of us! You all are doing things the right way and the Lord is being glorified as you share your journey of grief. Blessings abundant!

    ReplyDelete